Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Morning: matter and spirit, reason and instinct, money and sex. The two principles making up the wholeness. And mixing.

I read again Don's corrections, added some more. I decided to leave the book proposal here and ask him to mail it for me to Beacon Press. Things start to take shape. I was meditating on the taboo-nature of the theological science. Relationship of authority and ignorance.

At the PSU again. Two young female students perched yoga-style on the top of the table. Teacher in the opposite end of the room, and the rest of the people around, the all of us making a circle. Frederick Douglas and Abraham Lincoln on slavehood. A leasure discussion, everyone adds his, or her own insight, and compares them with the great thinker's. Teacher asks questions, points out interesting contradictions. I admire the relaxed and civilized manner of the discourse. (Just like the traffic.) And still, everything is running according to schedule.

I compare it with my past experiences: studies with analysis of reality vs. denial of it. I discover the ability to follow the context in the line of arguments.

Lincoln opposed the introduction of the slavehood in the new states. We had a lentil soup with Joe after class and he pointed me out those states on a map he drew upside down on a piece of paper between our plates. We recalled Huckleberry Finn and Uncle Tom's Cabin, featuring runaway slaves.

The weather is clear but rather cool. I stepped off MAX at the market to take a walk. Meditation: realizing the human being behind the authority means releasing love of its captivity.

During dinner I had an interesting talk with Pam, who is member of Oregon Friends of Jung. She is reading Memories, Dreams and Recollections. We recalled interesting and funny episodes (giggled on the case of the "fallen turd"). She recommended me a lecture on Friday: Dreams of Fate, the Fate of Dreams, given by an analyst from New York. It will be followed by a workshop Saturday. I am very glad to hear that, the very opportunity I hoped for. The lecture is $12, I will definitely go.

During dinner I discover: sticking to facts is the best way of having an enjoyable conversation. Chatting doesn't necesarrily mean talking on incoherent trivialities.

Today is about discovering reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment