Friday, December 4, 2009

At Portland State University with Joe. They discuss the topic of the treatise they will have to write. Teacher suggests one. Asks a student to read the Preface: the American nation is compared to a family with many members. She writes on the table: "FAMILY", "NATION". Asks students to name their associations. Compares the two ideas for half an hour.

I realize: for the Americans the multicultural society still means a challenge, and they are still looking for the answer for the oneness of the nation. (For us in Europe "nation" and "ethnicity" are synonims.)

It dawns on me: you have to reverse the problem, in order to realize its true nature. Question is not: how can the multitude become one, but: how is it possible that the one became so diverse? The oneness was before diversity in time. What happened, why did mankind start to use different set of symbols? Babel tower-complex. Here you are: philosophy of religion, linguistics and sociology blending and overlapping. (Cf. ideas like "God is the word." God is a set of words created by a culture. The theory of memes. Richard Dawkins and Saint John.)

End of course. I am sorry. I say goodbye to the alter ego of Sylvester Stallone, who recommends me books on the American Indian culture, and wishes me luck with my project. Nice guy. Reminds me of childhood friends in my village.

8:30 p.m. First United Methodist Church: Morgan Stebbins, M.Div. L.M.S.W.: Dreams of Fate; the Fate of Dreams. Lecture about Jung's dream theory. Big church, two pulpits, huge wooden cross in the background. For me: symbolic setting. Unexpected fulfillment of my dream. The lecturer has a degree in theology and studied zen-buddhism, too (his website).

Introduction: think of a childhood dream. An example: teenage girl dreams of a snake pursuing her in the wild woods, and then in the bedroom.

What is the dream? Symbol. The symbol is real - in a symbolic sense. You dream of loosing your money in the bank: do not rush to withdraw it. It means you are being on a process of self-detachment from your material belongings.

The subconscious is part of the reality and speaks with symbols. It saves you if you listen to it, and destroys you if you supress it. Unconscious content of the psyche is expressed in fate: living out the problem complex. (E.g. you chose the wrong partner from among 1000.)

Morgan compares Jung's theory with Freud's: Freud adheres dogmatically to the unilateral libido theory, Jung is open to other possible explanations. Ironic joke on Freudian theory: Therapist: "- Your problem is that you suppress your libido." "- No, I don't." "- You see..."--- Audience is laughing, I enjoy it: Freud was also right.

Explanation of the snake dream: the snake is an ancient symbol of the instinctive drive (or, the snake throwing its skin: the renewal). Importance of the setting: the wild wood, where untamed animals live. The bedroom also is a symbolic place of instinctive drive. Meaning is obvious. I notice Morgan's clever formulation from the church pulpit. (I notice also my enhanced intuitive abilities in understanding his examples.) After lecture: questions, the mic is carried around.

Walking home: football at PGE Park. I feel happy. Had a good run to the fareless area, and took MAX there.

No comments:

Post a Comment