Sunday, December 6, 2009

Worship service. Bell choir. Cathy Cartwright tells the story of John Murray, the first Universalist minister.

Dr. Mark Morrison-Reed tells about his own story, how he converted to the Universalist religion from Unitarianism: Dragged Kicking and Screaming into Heaven. Enews: Early in the 19th century Universalism swept across our young nation finding a popularity it never again achieved. Is it time for us to return to that message? God's love brooks no resistance. Why is there so much controversy on God? What is God? Mark's answer: the unknowable.

Meanwhile I'm thinking on the connection of Freudian libido theory and symbolism, psychology and theology.

From 3 p.m. recommended by the Humanists of Greater Portland: United Nations Conference: 61st anniversary of Declaration of Human Rights. International audience. Conference is opened by Gwen Barnard scientologist minister. Opening prayer: Gujzar Ahmed. Video: history of human rights. Lotus Dance: thai "princesses". Poster contest winner announcement.

Rights in Togo. Koffi Dessou, Executive Assistant, Office of Human Relations, City of Portland. He tells his life story in Togo. He has a heavy accent, I have a hard time understanding it. Boys from the neighbouring village came stalking their older sisters. He and his brother threw stones at them, and didn't understand why. His brother perished in a prison. He was sold as a slave. Became human rights fighter from business man. Accomplished to pass the law to punish the slave trade. He sums up the meaning of his life: you cannot forget the bad memories, but you can forgive by investing the pain in the work to prevent these things from happening to others.

Scott Bickford & Gary Lapado, John Lennon: Imagine.

7:30 p.m.: Reed College Kaul Auditorium: America Sings! Classical pieces and afro-american spirituals by American composers.

I was thinking on my experiences yesterday and the day before. Meaning of several dreams became obvious. As I was walking on the campus I recalled an old experience and realized the meaning of the dogma: before going to heaven Jesus Christ "alighted to hell" (self-integration). Understanding the psychological meaning of the dogma separates it from the historical person. Today I walked a lot. I calculated: I walk every day about 10-15 miles in average. Today it must have been even 20. I missed the bus, instead standing in the cold wind I ran about 6 stops. Enjoyed it.

Don corrected the proposal and sent it through. I adjusted it and sent him back again. They are out tonight. I made myself some waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment