Thursday, October 15, 2009

I had a good night rest. Woke up twice but went back to sleep instantly, until after 5. I was reading the autobiography of an eskimo given to me by Pat (William L. Iggiagruk Hensley: Fifty Miles from Tomorrow: A Memoir of Alaska and the Real People). When Camille woke up I went out for another walk.

I asked her if there was a telephone booth nearby. She took me to a small town. These American villages are so much different than the European ones! We entered a big shop where you could find all kinds of tools, fishing implements, old style stoves, fridges, and so on.

On our way back Camille dropped me on the beach 3 miles from home. I had a good walk. There was a light drizzle, I saw two seal carcasses. At one place I found myself surrounded by the ocean. I had to run backwards a long way to escape from the trap. Enjoyed walking.

Camille is making necklaces with a kit. There's a huge magnifying glass, set up as a microscope, and she works underneath. I was reading newspapers and magazines about the recently published Red Book of Jung (and a police report about two stray donkeys "making asses of themselves" on the highway). Camille mixed some cucumber for soup. I prepared some waffles.

After lunch we drove to the end of the peninsula and saw the oldest settlement, Oysterville. It was founded in 1854, I saw a house built in 1863. We visited a cute old wooden church. Men were separated from women with a plank in the middle. The walls were also of plain wooden boards. There was a community hall there in the village, which used to be a school. From the distance it looked like a barn with windows. It was locked, we peeked through the door. Camille told me this place used to be the county seat. During an election a few horsemen from the neighbouring village rode in and simply stole the records.

We drove as far as the farthest end of the peninsula. It was low tide, lots of sea-weed, and thousands of birds. Two guys passed us with buckets and some kind of tools, and walked into the ocean. They waded and waded in the quiet waist-deep water, until they got smaller and smaller in the distance. There are many oyster-farms there, you can see lots of heaps of shattered oyster shells. They use it for the road pavements.

We came back and I went out to the beach. Walked from 5:30 to 6:30. On my way back, among the bushes I saw the largest mushroom I have ever seen. Supper: baked potatoes, chicken breast and vegetables. Discussion topic: church and man-woman relationship. We saw a bloody movie: Robin Hood, with Kevin Costner.

No comments:

Post a Comment